Don’t take your drains for granted! You might be tempted to use them as another trash can, but doing so will only cause plumbing issues, expensive repairs and a massive headache. Keep these Do’s and Don’ts in mind »
- DO use a drain guard! Whether it’s your kitchen sink or the shower drain, make sure you have a drain guard or screen. This tool helps catch any larger item – like pieces of food or hair – from slipping through.
- DO flush with hot water. Using hot water to flush a drain periodically can help remove waste. Fill your sink up 3/4 of the way with water and then unplug the drain to let the water rush down. The pressure created in this process can help clear your pipes from lingering debris.
- DO know when to use cold water. Conversely, know when cold water is appropriate. As mentioned in our Garbage disposal blog, cold water is essential to help push waste through your pipes after using. Hot water in this setting can melt fat and allow it to re-solidify as blockage further down the drain.
- DON’T pour grease, oil, or fat down the drain. All of which turn from liquid to solid in pipes, causing your drain to slow or clog. Dispose of these items in the trash once in solid form, or in a leak-proof container.
- DON’T flush everything. Your toilet isn’t a garbage can. Avoid flushing paper towels, cotton balls, cigarette butts, and yes – even “flushable” wipes. Body waste and toilet paper should be the only things going into the toilet.
- DON’T use commercial drain cleaners. Store bought drain cleaners contain dangerous chemicals that can be harmful to your health AND your pipes. Opt for more non-toxic options, like a homemade cleaner of baking soda and vinegar.
Drain clogs can cause major issues in your plumbing system. If you run into ANY issues, trust the experts here at Four Seasons Plumbing. Our many areas of expertise is drain cleaning and repair. You can always count on our talented Asheville plumbers for routine maintenance and professional plumbing services no matter the solution needed. Contact us today at 828-216-3894 or complete our online request form.
Creative services provided by Hughes Media.